Monday, January 21, 2013

It's F.C. out.

I figured I'd post something about where I am in training and what's coming up for the Greenbush Trail Runners...

I'm signed up for the Ice Age Trail 50 Miler in May.  My training plan officially started today with a 45-minute easy effort...which didn't happen.  It's really, really cold out.  I was going to head out tonight to get my time in, but instead I played with my boy and then sat in the warmth of my home.  Tomorrow I'll make up for it by pulling a double.  Promise!

I started to get back in to "running mode" over the last two weeks and am feeling that wonderful soreness of muscles that I really missed.  I had taken off the month of December of any real training, and while I really enjoyed the extra chocolate during the holidays...I'm very much enjoying the sore leg muscles that the training is bringing back.  As I mentioned, this week is the kick-off for Ice Age 50, and with Matt, Tony, and Dan all heading down the La Grange for the run, I'm excited to start the training cycle!

I've officially retired my Hoka Bondi's as of last week.  I ran one last long run in them, and the blistered the heck out of my feet.  I have a new pair of New Balance MT110's (updated version, with less lateral build-up) on the way and am excited to try them out.  Other than that, there's not much to report on training.  I feel chubby and slow right now but hope to build some serious hill climbs in the next couple months to get ready for Ice Age. 

One of my all-time favorite training runs happened in 2011, when Tony and I ran 16 miles of hill repeats on the Ice Age Trail (Glenbeulah Trailhead was the starting point). Snow was still on the trail, but we grinded out 4 repeats to Mile Marker 2 (a serious workout!) and hated the majority of it...but the sense of accomplishment was epic...and I hope to hammer out 20 miles this spring in my training.  Who's in?

As for upcoming GTR runs, we are scheduled to get together on February 9th, March 9th, ... and then the 3rd Annual NK 50k on April 6th, so plan on joining us for all or part of a great day in the woods!

That's about it for now.  Someone will be back with more info on the upcoming group runs.  In the meantime...get out to the Glen Trailhead, and let me know you're coming! 

Happy Trails!

Nic

1 comment:

  1. I'm out there with ya! These days I drive down to the group camp after work and change in the heated shelter. The conditions can really slow you down and extreme temps do sort of limit how long you can stay out (for me, anyways). But any and all are welcome to join me for a run when ever you like.

    See you on Feb 9th.

    ReplyDelete